Monday, September 1, 2008

Taking it all in.








They really through you in the thick of it here in Korea. By taking the bus or any means of transportation, I am forced to rely on my childhood charade skills. Nervous laughter accompanies slow moving mouths, simple one word English (with incessant repetition) and stick man drawings to ensure I am understood. Even if they understand what I am asking, there is still the misunderstanding of why on earth I would want that!?! This is the cultural divide. Basing my other cultural reference point mostly on Mexico, even though you could never really begin to compare two insanely complex cultures as it would be next to impossible, schedules here seem to be more punctual in general. The air carries a fast paced energy and politeness is of utmost importance. People here treat their English teachers with great respect. I feel like royalty. In some small way, they believe we are the key to their country's future.

Being schooled on the many stages of culture shock, I am put in my place. Understanding the logic of the east on paper by no ens leaves me exempt from the stifling effects of the way things are. I can bravely admit that culture shock has me firmly in its clutches at present. The language barrier being at the forefront.

Today is Monday. On Saturday I courageously travelled outside my little village of 3000 to visit Daphne. She lives in Yeoungwol. Now I am headed back home. I am going to school today even though I have a week before I begin teaching. A week to plan, a week to adjust, a week to take it all in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teacher! I hope you really like Korea, maybe u're kind of out of place this moment because of the different culture between Korean and Mexico but no worries! If you have any questions u can ask me anything and I'll answer it to u in facebook or i dont know messenger. :)
And well in Korea peole tend to do things "right", in deference in Mexico, Koreans do things more quickly, at the moment, not like here that they do it at the last minute lol and they don't like people beeing late so be careful with that and never take taxis in Korea because they are really expensive, instead you can take a bus or subway, In Korea they use it so much that it is nice and clean and fast, you just have to memorize where to get down, but it's just a matter of time... emm I think thats all i can tell you for the moment!
Miss you teacher! and have a great great time in Korea

Anonymous said...

I think the picture of that person feeding you is HILARIOUS!