Saturday, June 16, 2012

Welcome to Paradise?

As I bear the beating sun and soak up a wealth of knowledge from our ancestors about living with the earth in harmony, I am integrating into the Haitian life with ease. What can I say? Haiti and it's people are the definition of resilience. They live with smiles and laughter as the days pass. Myself and the other participants in the Permaculture Design Course at Sadhana Forest in Anses-a-Pitre are welcomed as valued members of the community and interact in Creole, French and Spanish with the locals who are quickly becoming good friends. The day I reached the border a swell of young men on motos greeted us with smiles. Until now, I am constantly reminded of their kindness and positivity. We play music, dive in fresh water caves with no apparent bottom. We cook for each other using rocket stoves and fresh local produce (lots of mango and papaya!). We chew fresh sugar cane from the fields and walk about the town saying hello to every single person we pass. They in turn greet us with love in their hearts. I am especially captured by the naked babies who run after us with the most lovely smiles for a quick hug. The ocean is 10 minutes away as well as the border to the Dominican Republic who's stark contrast to Haiti provides me this tiny internet cafe where I can update the world via dirt bag style. I feel safe and at home here. In Haiti, I am reminded how simplicity can bring the utmost of joy.

No comments: