Thursday, June 26, 2008


Elation, pure elation, what more can I say.
It all began last Friday night. Pablo and I rushed out the house, the combi loaded to the teeth. Pablo was accompanying me from DF to San Luis Potosí to share the driving and accompany me one last time. He just missed his bus in the morning arriving at 5:34 (instead of the scheduled departing time of 4:50. Luckily he was able to catch the next one at 6:00. The short but beautiful goodbye in the florescent bus terminal was emotional. Emotional. A good theme word… I was supposed to meet a friend of Lu´s. (In case you don´t know Lu, he is a friend form San Luis Potosi who married a Quebequois and now lives in Montreal) So I was meeting his friend Hector to pick up Lu´s Kayak and take it all the way to Montreal. I followed Hector to his house across town to sleep a few hours before the next long ride to Saltillo the next morning. (Wait, it already was the next morning, I was only going to sleep for two hours)At 8:30 after my tin foiled smoked tofu sandwich, we loaded the kayak. Hector decided to visit a friend in Saltillo and go climbing in El Canyon de San Lorenzo. Great Idea! (He helped me drive). Another long journey in the chalk full combi. Luckily Hector knew a little about Volkswagens because we had a tiny problem. No gas acceleration! Only the tube had been pinched and after a simple adjustment we were riding smooth again! Yes, I have to mention that by this time, Hector had already complimented the smoothness of the tork of the new motor. I must take this moment to worship Enrique, who in DF, worked the combi´s magic and conditioned her back into sweet shape. When we arrived in Saltillo, we quickly met Christopher, Rodrigo and Daniel who we sometimes like to call Christo, Pop and Cachorro. Cachorro means “puppy” in Spanish. I know, strange. I have friends named Repollo (cabbage), Chicharro (Green pea) and Moko (Snot). Anyways, seeing these guys and all our energy together for the first time was splendid. And like I said before, I was elated. My two-day sleep deprived body was held at bay for the following six hours or so we packed everything, more like smushed everything, all our climbing gear, rucksacks and smiles into the van. Some other friends arrived and bigger smiled filled our faces. That night we partied like it was my last night in Mexico. We went to a club with a live reggae band playing covers of Gondwana, Marley and Tosh. Elation! The night was long. The next day we were about to embark on a trying and testing marathon of road travels and fun!

No comments: