Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Finishing Touches

So, repairing a VW in Mexico is much easier in Mexico than anywhere in the States or Canada... after all, since 1964, Volkswagens have been constructed right here in Mexico, in the production plant in Puebla. Up until July 2003, Mexico was the only manufacturer of the VW Sedan in the world. In fact, the design for the newer looking BEETLE or BUG if you will is uniquely 100% Mexican and in January 2008, Volkswagen celebrated 10 years of its production in Mexico. As of now, over a million "new" Beetles have been sold in dealerships all over the world.  

So, saying this, it has been quite an adventure finding spare parts to really beautify my ride as you can find them in garages all over the country. The COMBI itself was designed in 1950 in Germany and just twenty two years later, in 1972, the one that I drive was built in Puebla. 

In the last few weeks I have been to backyard shops where spare parts are crammed between children`s toys guarded by salivating pooches. I have been to street side hole-in-the-walls with greasy-handed men smiling with beer in hands. I have been in and out of deals and slipped hard cash fast under tables in nice fat envelops hoping for a little discount. A particular "discount" incident was directly related to the "cambio de propietario" - the change in owner... Yes, a little inside string pulling from a rockin´ mechanic that saves my life daily and I legally own this 72 beauty without the paper filling, time consuming red tape. Cut a few corners and I saved over 300 dollars! Oh, the wonders of Mexican Business.    

As my COMBI receives its finishing touches, along with the new motor, new tires, disguising curtains, secure integrated lock system, phat futon, pumpin´ stereo, custom roof rack, paint touch up, I pack my bags. The only question now is how to fit my entire life, three Mexican friends and my dog inside...

No comments: