Monday, June 2, 2008

Soon begins the Dirt bag road trip in the classic VW Combi!


Welcome to the new BLOG to record the wild imaginations and happenings of my Road trip Dirt Bag Style.
Why Dirt Bag? Well, this is a well known term fondly used by rock climbers everywhere. It basically means "Proud to be dirty and cheap". So, yes, I am also proud. I am proud to say that canned beans will never taste so good. Dirt baggin` it can`t be complete without the company of my lovely pooch, Sandia. For those of you who know this Potrero hound, you will be glad to discover that after an intense battle with cancer, she is as lively as ever and still so well behaved!
So, WE are about to embark on an adventure of sorts with varying company of different nationalities (such as my Mexican homies) in a 1972 VW Combi Bus. Many of you may know the combi for its reputation of breaking down on the side of the highway in the middle of no where... but I have a plan!
The plan is to drive from Mexico to Monterrey to Hueco Tanks to Colorado to The Tetons to Squamish, BC, Canada. This is phase ONE of the adventure which also includes various stops along the way to visit cherished friends! Phase TWO begins with a rotation in passengers and an east bound highway haul taking me all the way to NEW York City! Hmm. Big plans, big plans.

As of this current instant, I am pimping my ride in the lovely capital of Mexico, Mexico DF. The 1972 classic has recently aquired a BRAND NEW Engine! This will help the road worries. Next comes a new stereo, new tires, new roof rack and swave interior along with all the "just in case" tools...

Driving around in this big city looking for spare parts and sincere help (one of the biggest in the world with approxamately 29 million people) has been made possible by the lovely Pablo Serrano and his family.

Even though my calluses from climbing are falling off due to the lack of use from a broken finger, I continue to press on in hopes of coming face to face with the lavish and granduer rock that awaits me and my compadres in this wild adventure north then east.

Keep checking the blog for pictures, links, travel advise and a good ol' adventure story of a girl and her dog!

6 comments:

--Kleine-- said...

You rock girl ! Have a great trip y dale buenos pegues ! Alli nos vemos en Montreal en agosto !

lhombredlumbre said...

jav a greit t`rip a`raund ;-)

Unknown said...

aw hun, i wish i could be there! rad photo, the van looks kick ass, hope she pulls through for ya!
p.s i just accepted a job in korea for sept...gonna be a fun year

christopher said...

hey whats up!!
hey from squamish what is the plan? we are not going to calgary any more? let me know so i can by my plane ticket tomorrow.

Your Dad said...

Take care. I love you. Don't climb with a broken finger!! Phone home every once and a while.

deb love said...

hey----sounds like a wonderous adventure---wish I could follow you in a 5 star hotel! Did a road trip in a VW van many years ago---will tell you the tale over a bottle of vino one day! Off to Prague and Budapest this summer---hoefully we can share stories and pics when you return-----be safe!